Let’s review some things about the 2016 election….
1) Cambridge Analytica stole the data of 50 million American Facebook users. Facebook knew about it but did not follow up to stop it.
2) Russia used a troll farm to weaponize false news stories and spread them thoughout social media.
3) Cambridge Analytica admits that they were targeting areas of the US that would be vulnerable to social media attacks. And they bragged that they were able to use the electoral college to get Trump elected.
4) Roger Stone had a back channel to Wikileaks that gave him a heads up on Wikileaks releases. Which indicates that the Trump campaign probably knew about the releases before hand.
5) Numerous Trump campaign associates made undisclosed contacts (until discovered via the press) with Russian government officials.
6) The FBI is investigating Russian money being funneled through the NRA to help the Trump campaign. (NRA spent 30 million dollars for Trump)
7) Paul Manafort has far too many back channel ties to Russia via the Ukraine and other Russian oligarchs.
8) The June 9th Trump Tower meeting between Russian representatives and the 3 key members of the Trump campaign (Don Jr, Manafort, and Kushner) continues to be a focus of investigation. And Trump personally tried to push a false story about its intention.
9) Throughout the campaign and to this day, Trump, himself, will not publicly state anything negative about Vladimir Putin. Even the Russian sanctions that passed Congress and been begrudgingly implemented via the Treasury Department without any encouragement from Trump himself.
10) Devin Nunes, a Trump ally and chair of the House committee, shut down the House investigation into Russia and repeatedly tried to push competing narratives that had no basis in actual fact.
11) There was a curious back channel attempt to contact Russian officials initiated by Jared Kushner for a still unknown purpose.
12) When US banks refused to loan money to the Trump and Kushner organizations, Russian money funneled through Deutsche Bank in Germany came to the rescue. Deutsche Bank is being investigated for money laundering and has been heavily fined for financial misdeeds.
13) The Alfa bank (a Russian bank) server connection to the Trump organization has still never been explained and remains a mystery.
The list is larger than that and most of this will only be explained by Robert Mueller at some point.
But the idea that Trump did nothing nefarious grows dimmer by the day. When we talk about Trump the business man becoming President, we seem to have overlooked the fact that Trump is a corrupt business man and that he is now a corrupt President.
And the even broader nefarious problem is that our Congress has abdicated its oversight role and refuses to acknowledge growing evidence of an administration wrapped up in an international conspiracy.
Democracy has a Damocles sword hanging over it. And only a democratic people, working together, can solve this problem.