OK – here you go; I have drawn up articles of impeachment against Donald Trump, President of the United States. Tell me what does not apply….
1. Making false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States.
2. Withholding relevant and material evidence or information from lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States.
3. Approving, condoning, acquiescing in, and counselling witnesses with respect to the giving of false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States and false or misleading testimony in duly instituted judicial and congressional proceedings.
4. Interfering or endeavouring to interfere with the conduct of investigations by the Department of Justice of the United States, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the office of “Special Counsel“, and Congressional Committees.
5. Approving, condoning, and acquiescing in, the surreptitious payment of substantial sums of money for the purpose of obtaining the silence or influencing the testimony of witnesses, potential witnesses or individuals.
6. Endeavouring to misuse the “Federal Bureau of Investigation“, an agency of the United States.
7. Making or causing to be made, false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States into believing that a thorough and complete investigation had been conducted with respect to allegations of misconduct on the part of personnel of the executive branch of the United States…
8.Endeavouring to cause prospective defendants, and individuals duly tried and convicted, to expect favoured treatment and consideration in return for their silence or false testimony, or rewarding individuals for their silence or false testimony.
Now I must confessed. I cheated. These are the Watergate articles of impeachment….I only changed a few words (in quotes) and left out reference to Watergate and the Committee to re-elect, but otherwise this is a verbatim list from the first page.
But Trump has done so much more.
He has misappropriated Congressional funds.
He has attempted to obtain information from foreign sources to aid his re-election.
He has openly given classified information to our adversaries.
He has circumvented the “advise and consent” procedure in the Senate.
He has withheld information on conversations with foreign leaders from the American people.
He has overlooked corruption in nearly every department of his cabinet.
He has violated the emoluments clause.
He has repeatedly lied to the American public.
He has worked to impede the lawful actions of the American Press in violation of the first amendment.
He has obstructed lawful oversight by the Congress.
He has obstructed justice on numerous occasions outlined in the Mueller report.
He has violated and misused the emergency powers act.
He has not consulted Congress on trade policy.
He has not complied with lawful judicial orders (reuniting parents with children at border).
The list goes on and on…..and yet, we know the Republicans in the Senate would never convict on impeachment, even though the evidence is self explanatory and done in the open.
We are living in sad and maddening times.